Take your brunch southern-style with this simple corn bread recipe. Photo: Edwina Pickles
100g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
275g cornmeal or fine polenta
1 tbsp castor sugar
1 tsp salt
3 rashers bacon, diced
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp melted butter
1. Heat the oven to 200C. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl, add the cornmeal, sugar and salt, and mix well.
2. Heat a 20-centimetre-wide cast-iron skillet (or equivalent heat-proof and oven-proof pan) over medium heat and cook the diced bacon until it starts to crisp. Set aside half of the bacon.
3. Whisk the egg with the melted butter and buttermilk until smooth, then fold into the dry ingredients until it just comes together.
4. Pour into the hot skillet, scatter remaining bacon on top, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Serve warm.
Note If you don't have a skillet, fold the diced fried bacon through the batter and bake in a well-buttered 20cm x 10cm loaf tin or four individual pie tins or souffle dishes.
- Main Ingredients - Corn, Pork, Eggs
- Cuisine - American (US)
- Course - Breakfast/Brunch, Side Dish
- Occasion - Barbecue, Family meals