Hot, hot, hot! Corn fritters with jalapeno butter. Photo: William Meppem
For the fritters
1/2 cup rice flour
5 tbsp plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp fine sea salt
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1 extra-large egg, beaten
2 tsp lemon juice
350g corn kernels (3 large corn cobs)
2 spring onions, finely sliced
2 tbsp chopped coriander
vegetable oil, for shallow frying
For the butter
120g unsalted butter
1 tsp lime zest
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp chopped chives
1 tbsp chopped deseeded jalapenos
sea salt and freshly ground pepper
For the salad
450g baby heirloom tomatoes, quartered
1/4 cup coriander leaves
1 tbsp chopped lemon thyme
small handful basil leaves
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp lime juice
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. For the butter, chop butter into cubes, place in a mixing bowl and bring to room temperature. Beat butter with a wooden spoon until soft and creamy. Fold through the remaining ingredients. Place mixture on a sheet of baking paper and roll into a log shape, about 4cm in diameter.
Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm. Cut into about 12 slices.
2. For the salad, place tomatoes in a bowl along with coriander, thyme and roughly torn basil. In a mortar with a pestle, pound the garlic with a little salt until puréed. Add lime juice, then whisk in oil. Dress the tomatoes.
3. For the fritters, sift the rice flour, plain flour, baking powder, salt, coriander and cumin into a bowl. Add egg, lemon juice and 1/2 cup water and beat to a smooth batter. Add corn, spring onions and coriander, then stir to combine.
Heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat. When the oil is hot, spoon a little less than ¼ cup of the fritter mixture into pan and flatten gently with the back of a spoon. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side until golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper and keep warm.
Serve the fritters with butter on top and salad on the side.
- Main Ingredients - Corn, Chilli, Fresh herbs
- Cuisine - Mexican
- Course - Finger-food, Starter/Entree, Main-course, Lunchbox
- Occasion - Family meals, Cocktail Party, Picnic, Midweek dinner, Birthday