Don't throw out your de-kernelled cobs, use them to make this. Photo: Edwina Pickles
5 corn cobs, husks and silk removed
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1/2 an onion, finely diced
sea salt and pepper
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
4 slices smoked or cured salmon
1 lemon, cut into wedges
1. Holding each cob vertically, use a sharp knife to shear off the corn kernels. Use a strong spoon to scrape again, getting the pulp and the milky juices as well.
2. Cover the cobs with 500 millilitres of boiling water, add salt and simmer for 20 minutes. Discard the cobs and reserve the corn broth to use as a stock.
3. Heat the olive oil and butter in a frypan, and cook the onion for five to 10 minutes until soft but still pale.
4. Add the corn, sea salt and pepper, and 400 millilitres of stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 20 minutes or until tender.
5. Blend one third of the corn in a blender and return it to the pan.
6. Add the cream, sea salt, pepper, paprika and parsley and cook for five minutes, stirring.
7. Serve with smoked salmon, lemon and extra herbs, such as basil and parsley.
- Main Ingredients - Corn, Cream/Milk
- Cuisine - American (US)
- Course - Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
- Occasion - Father's Day