Photo: Natalie Boog
- 6 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp caster sugar
- 6 tbsp water
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 medium telegraph cucumber, washed, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 bok choy, washed, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, roughly chopped
Bring vinegar, sugar, water and salt to the boil in a small saucepan, simmer for one minute. Allow to cool. Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour over cool syrup before serving with a Thai-style curry or fish cakes.
When pickles and jams are made they should be stored in sterilised jars. To do this, wash jars well in warm, soapy water, then place in a 100C oven for 10 minutes. Alternatively, place the jars in a large saucepan of water, bring to the boil and simmer on the stove for 10 minutes. Lids can also be sterilised in the oven or in simmering water - but use metal lids, not plastic ones or those with rubber seals. If jars are being filled with a hot jam or pickle mixture, make sure the jar is still hot when filled and the filling is above 85C. Once the lid is on firmly, turn the jar upside down until cool.
- Main Ingredients - Carrot
- Cuisine - Thai