Photo: Quentin Jones
- 1 1/2 cups castor sugar
- 1 1/2 cups table salt
- 1/4 rockmelon, peeled, de-seeded and sliced into 3 lengthways
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp good-quality red wine vinegar
- 2 smoked duck breasts, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Spanish onion, finely sliced
- 2 large handfuls mizuna or rocket, washed and drained
- Salt and pepper
The night before, mix sugar and salt and place half in a tray. Lie melon on salt mix, then cover with remaining salt mix. Cover and place in the fridge.
The following day, remove melon from salt mix and rinse, pat dry with paper towel and slice into one-centimetre slices. Mix oil and vinegar to make a dressing. Toss melon with duck, onion and mizuna and dress. Season and serve immediately.
- Main Ingredients - Duck, Asian greens