Instead of butter; Dark chocolate olive oil cake. Photo: Marina Oliphant
175g castor sugar
175g brown sugar
1½ tsp vanilla essence
330g self-raising flour
100g dark cocoa
270ml olive oil
90ml milk or a little more
For ganache (optional)
220g quality dark chocolate
80g unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 180C (170C fan-forced). Line a 24-centimetre square or round cake tin with baking paper.
2. Using a whisk beater, beat eggs and sugars until pale, then add vanilla.
3. Sift in flour and cocoa, fold through a little, add olive oil and milk and mix well. Pour into prepared tin, smooth top and bake for 45-50 minutes. Test with a skewer - it should come out with crumbs on it. If it comes out clean, the cake is overcooked.
4. Remove cake from oven and cool for five minutes. Remove cake from tin and cool completely before dusting with cocoa or smothering with ganache.
5. For ganache, place chocolate in a bowl over simmering water and melt. Stir through butter until melted. Add cream and stir to combine. If it thickens too much when removed from heat, rewarm briefly, spread over cake and serve.
Drink Espresso coffee or a glass of cold milk.
Store in an airtight container.
- Main Ingredients - Eggs, Chocolate
- Course - Dessert
- Occasion - Afternoon Tea, Morning Tea