It doesn't come fresher: DIY guacamole. Photo: Edwina Pickles
2 ripe avocados, halved and stoned
1 tbsp finely diced red onion
2 ripe tomatoes, diced
1 to 2 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp pickled jalapenos, chopped
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
Sea salt and black pepper
* Mexican ingredients and molcahetes are available from fireworksfoods.com.au and aztecmexican.com.au.
1. Set out the mortar and pestle, avocados and little bowls of onion, tomato, lime, jalapenos, coriander, sea salt and pepper on a tray, ready for mixing.
2. Spoon out the avocado flesh and roughly chop it into the mortar.
3. Lightly crush with the pestle, then add the remaining ingredients to your own taste, working them in with the pestle.
3. Serve while still lightly chunky.
Serve with corn chips or tortillas as a dip, use as a filling for tacos, or serve as a salad with fish, pork or chicken.
- Cuisine - Mexican
- Course - Starter/Entree, Side Dish
- Occasion - Midweek dinner, Dinner Party, Kids' cooking