- 1 quantity flaky pastry
- 1 egg white, whisked
- Caster (superfine) sugar, to sprinkle
- 20 g (¾ oz) unsalted butter
- 60 g (2¼ oz/⅓ cup, lightly packed) dark brown sugar
- 115 g (4 oz/¾ cup) currants
- 40 g (1½ oz/¼ cup) mixed peel (mixed candied citrus peel)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon mixed (pumpkin pie) spice
1. To make the filling, put the butter and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring, for 2–3 minutes or until the butter melts and the mixture is smooth. Transfer to a bowl, add the remaining ingredients and stir to mix well. Set aside to cool.
2. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface to a rectangle, about 32 x 42 cm (12¾ x 16½ inches) and 4 mm (¼ inch) thick. Use a round 10 cm (4 inch) pastry cutter to cut out 12 rounds. Place on the lined trays and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6) .
4. Divide the filling among the rounds on the trays, placing it in a heap in the centre of each and leaving a border of about 1 cm (½ inch). Working with one at a time, bring the edges up and over to fully enclose the filling and form a ball, pressing the edges to seal. Use your hand to press down on the pastry balls to flatten them. Turn them over — the filling should start showing through the pastry.
5. Brush the pastries with the egg white and sprinkle with the sugar. Use a small sharp knife to cut three small slits in the top of each pastry. Bake the pastries for 20–25 minutes or until deep golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Cuisine - British
- Course - Dessert, Snacks
- Occasion - Morning/Afternoon Tea, Christmas