Photo: Natalie Boog
- 2-3 large eggplants
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 brown onions, chopped
- 4 tsp sambal oelek (chilli paste), to taste
- 500g orzo pasta or risoni
- 300g feta cheese
- Juice of two lemons
- 1 bunch mint, finely chopped
Chop the eggplants into cubes, toss in three tablespoons of oil and roast in a hot oven until crisp and brown. Remove from oven and drain on paper towels to absorb oil.
Brown the onions in the remaining oil and add sambal oelek. While the onions are cooking, cook the orzo in a pan of salted boiling water until al dente.
Mix orzo with the onion, eggplant, crumbled feta, lemon juice and mint. (Quickly fried prawns can also be added.)
Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Cuisine - Italian
- Course - Main-course