Photo: Marina Oliphant
- Title:For the vinaigrette
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Title:For the roulade
- 2 1/2 cups water
- pinch salt
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 125g chickpea flour*
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped rocket leaves
- extra virgin olive oil for the tin
- Title:For the filling
- 200g ricotta, processed to a smooth cream and seasoned to taste
- salt and pepper
- basil leaves
- 30 slender green beans, trimmed, cooked and drizzled with a few drops of extra virgin olive oil
For the vinaigrette: Blend all ingredients until smooth. Taste for seasoning and set aside until needed.
For the roulade: Preheat oven to 200C. Oil a tin 18cm x 28cm, and line it with a sheet of baking paper. Oil the paper lightly.
Bring water, salt and garlic to simmering. Sift in the flour, whisking all the time. It will thicken at once. Continue whisking for a minute, then stir in the rocket and quickly spoon the mixture into the tin. Smooth to about 1cm deep.
Bake 20 minutes until just firm.
Lay a clean tea towel on a tray, place a sheet of baking paper on top and brush it with oil. Cool the roulade for a minute and then invert onto the paper. Roll up and leave to cool for an hour.
Unwrap the roulade, spread with the ricotta filling and cover with the basil leaves and beans. Re-roll in the paper and when ready to serve, cut into thick slices and serve with the vinaigrette.
*Chickpea flour (besan) is available at health food shops and Indian grocers.
- Cuisine - Italian