Brigitte Hafner's summery fattoush salad. Photo: Marina Oliphant
- Roughly 1 cup day-old crusty bread, torn into large pieces
- Half a clove garlic, finely sliced
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- Half a red onion, finely sliced
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, cut into cubes
- 1-2 tsp sumac*
- Salt and pepper
- Sherry vinegar
- 1 lemon
- Extra virgin olive oil
- About 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, torn
- About 1/2 cup coriander leaves, torn
Combine all the salad ingredients except for the fresh herbs. Season with salt and pepper and dress generously with vinegar, lemon juice and olive oil.
Allow to sit for 10 minutes, then toss in the herbs and serve.
* Sumac is a red berry with a zingy, lemony flavour that is widely used in Middle Eastern cooking. It is available from some supermarkets and from Middle Eastern food stores.
- Main Ingredients - Tomato, Bread
- Cuisine - Lebanese