Photo: Marina Oliphant
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 x 400g tins peeled diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 heaped tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp harissa
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- 75g unsalted butter
- 4 large field mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 4 free-range eggs
- 1/2 cup pitted green spanish olives (rough chop in large segments)
- 150g Bulgarian fetta, crumbled
- chopped Italian parsley and fresh basil to serve
Heat large frypan with olive oil and add tomatoes, sugar, tomato paste and harissa. Bring to the boil, lower heat and allow sauce to gently simmer for about 20-30 minutes.
Melt butter in a separate pan and cook mushrooms until golden. Add extra butter if necessary.
Add mushrooms to tomato mixture. Add salt and pepper to season.
Make four small wells in the sauce and crack eggs into these, sprinkle with olives and cover with a lid. Allow eggs to cook on medium heat for six to eight minutes until whites are firm, but the yolks are still runny.
Add crumbled fetta, sprinkle with basil and parsley and serve with crusty bread.
- Cuisine - Italian
- Course - Lunch