Filo pie with spring greens, feta and pistachios. Photo: Marcel Aucar
½ brown onion, finely diced
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 bunch silverbeet, chopped in 2cm pieces, including most of the stem
½ bunch parsley, roughly chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
375g fresh ricotta
½ bunch dill, finely chopped
5 gratings of nutmeg
1 packet filo pastry
30g pistachios, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180C fan-forced or 200C conventional.
2. In a large pot over medium heat, add a small knob of butter and cook the onion and garlic for six minutes or until softened. Add the silverbeet, stir through, cover and cook for 15 minutes over a low heat.
3. Add the spinach, rocket and parsley to the pot and mix through. Cook for a further five minutes or so, stirring now and then, until the greens are wilted. Season. Tip into a sieve and press lightly to drain the excess liquid from the greens. Allow to cool for five minutes, then chop.
4. To a large bowl add the eggs, ricotta, crumbled feta, dill and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper and mix together. Then mix through the chopped greens.
5. Melt the remaining butter and brush the sheets of filo as you lay them into a buttered baking dish, carefully pushing the pastry into the corners and leaving enough overhanging to form a lid - laying in two sheets at a time (brushing every second sheet on the inside of the dish) will stop the pastry tearing. Twenty sheets should be enough, depending on the shape and size of your dish.
6. Tip the pie mix into the dish and flatten out evenly. Fold in the overhanging layers, brushing the sheets with butter as you go. You may have a gap in the centre of the pie, which you can fill with some buttered and folded sheets. Brush the top of the pie, scatter over the pistachios and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
Tip Buy chilled filo, which won't crack and become as brittle as the frozen version. It's available at most supermarkets.
- Main Ingredients - Spinach/Silverbeet, Cheese, Nuts
- Cuisine - Greek
- Course - Dinner, Lunch
- Occasion - Family meals, Picnic