- 50 g (1 ¾ oz/ 1/3 cup) sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 40 g (1 ½ oz/½ cup) crisp fried onion
- 5 cm (2 in) piece, chopped ginger
- 2 cloves, chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons tamarind puré e
- 1 tablespoon crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon roasted peanuts
- 8, plus extra, to serve curry leaves
- 1 kg (2 lb 4 oz), cut into 2 cm (¾ in) cubes skinless, firm white fish fillets
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Put the sesame seeds in a heavy-based frying pan, over medium heat, and stir until golden. Add the cayenne pepper, turmeric, coconut, ground coriander and ground cumin and stir for a further minute, or until aromatic. Set aside to cool.
2. Put the fried onions, ginger, garlic, tamarind, 1 teaspoon salt, peanut butter, roasted peanuts, sesame spice mix and 500 ml (17 fl oz/2 cups) hot water in a food processor and process until mixture reaches a smooth, thick consistency.
3. Put the sauce and curry leaves into a heavy-based frying pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, then add the fish in a single layer. Simmer, covered, for a further 5 minutes, or until the fish is just cooked through. Gently stir through the lemon juice, and season well to taste. Garnish with curry leaves and serve.
- Main Ingredients - Fish
- Course - Main-course