This recipe is from The Cook's Companion.
Photo: Marina Oliphant
Have your say
- 250g skinned boneless fish fillets
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and stalks
- 2 tbsp chopped basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp chilli paste
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tsp finely chopped spring onions
- 1 tsp fish sauce (or to taste)
- 1-2 tbsp coconut cream
- vegetable oil for frying
Process the fish in a food processor. Add all other ingredients except the coconut cream. Scrape into a bowl and stir in 1 tablespoon of coconut cream. Add extra if the mixture is too stiff.
Dip a spoon in hot water and scoop out a fish ball. Repeat until all the mixture is formed into balls. Shallow or deep-fry in hot oil, or steam them.
Serve on a platter with fresh basil and a small bowl of sweet chilli sauce.
Makes about 20 bite-sized balls.