Fish finger sarnie with chunky tartare sauce. Photo: Marina Oliphant
- 3 tbsp good egg mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp low-fat yoghurt
- 1 tbsp to 2 tbsp pickled jalapeno chillies
- 1 tbsp salted capers, rinsed
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Sea salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp coarse fresh or dried breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 4 fish fillets, skinned (such as flathead or whiting)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- Handful of rocket leaves
- 1 Spanish onion, finely sliced
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
For the tartare sauce, whisk mayo, yoghurt, chillies, capers, parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper together in a bowl.
For the fish fingers, mix the crumbs and lemon zest on a plate.
Cut the fish into stubby fingers and dip in beaten egg, then in the crumbs. Heat oil in a large frypan and cook fish fingers on all sides until golden, about three minutes.
Lightly toast the sourdough. Thickly spread four slices with tartare sauce and pile rocket, fish fingers and Spanish onion on top.
Serve with remaining toast and lemon wedges.
- Main Ingredients - Fish
- Cuisine - British
- Course - Lunch