- 1 quantity sweet shortcrust pastry
- 3 large (about 600g) golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and quartered, then thinly sliced lengthways
- 45g (¼ cup, lightly packed) light brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon mixed (or pumpkin pie) spice
- 1 tablespoon apricot jam, warmed
- 125g (1 cup) frozen or fresh mixed berries
- 1 egg, lightly whisked with 2 teaspoons water
- Icing sugar, to dust
1. Use a rolling pin to roll the pastry out between 2 sheets of non-stick baking paper to a 30cm (12 inch) round.
2. Put the apples, brown sugar, salt, zest, juice and mixed spice in a large bowl and toss to combine. Transfer the pastry to a large baking tray and peel off the top sheet of paper.
3. Arrange the apples in concentric circles over the pastry, starting at the outside and leaving a 4cm border. Brush the apples with the warmed jam, then scatter over the berries. Fold the pastry border up and over the filling, pleating it as necessary so it fits snugly. Brush the pastry generously with the egg wash. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until the pastry is well chilled.
4. Preheat the oven to 190°C. Bake the galette for 25 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 170°C and bake for a further 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is golden and crisp and the apples are tender. Allow to cool slightly, then dust lightly with the icing sugar and serve warm.
- Main Ingredients - Apple, Berries
- Course - Dessert
- Occasion - Dinner Party, Family meals