Japanese favourite: Fried eggplant with miso. Photo: William Meppem
2 large eggplants
2 dried red chillies
4 tbsp sake
3 tbsp mirin
4 tbsp castor sugar
2 tbsp shoyu
5 tbsp red miso
1/2 cup sesame oil
2 tbsp julienne of coriander
1. Cut the eggplants into three-centimetre dice. Crush the chillies in a mortar and pestle. Mix the sake, mirin, sugar and shoyu in a cup. In a separate bowl, mix the red miso with four tablespoons of water to soften the paste.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the chilli. When the oil is smoking, add the eggplant, fry for about eight to 10 minutes until tender.
3. Lower the heat and add the sake mix, stir for two to three minutes, add the miso and cook, stirring, for another couple of minutes. Spoon on to a plate and sprinkle with coriander.
- Main Ingredients - Eggplant, Chilli
- Cuisine - Japanese
- Course - Side Dish, Starter/Entree, Main-course
- Occasion - Midweek dinner, Dinner Party