- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 200 g (1 cup) sushi rice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons, plus two generous pinches, caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1/2 small carrot, cut in half
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon sake
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 sheets of toasted nori seaweed, each measuring 20 × 18 cm (8 × 7 inches)
- 2 crabsticks (40 g/1 1/2 oz) each, cut into strips
- 25 g (1 oz) pickled daikon, cut into strips
- 25 g (1 oz) cucumber, cut into strips
- Japanese soy sauce, for serving
- wasabi paste, for serving
- pickled ginger, for serving
1. Place the mushrooms in a small saucepan and cover with 300 ml (10½ fl oz) boiling water. Place a saucer on top of the mushrooms to submerge them in the liquid, and leave to soak for 30 minutes.
2. Rinse the rice under cold running water. Put the rice into a saucepan and cover with 200 ml (7 fl oz) cold water. Cover the pan and bring the water to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. While the rice is cooking, mix together the vinegar, a pinch of the sugar and a generous pinch of salt. When the rice is cooked, remove the pan from the heat and let it stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
4. Transfer the rice to a bowl. Add the rice vinegar mixture, bit by bit, turning and folding the rice in the bowl using a wooden spoon or spatula. Continue to fold until the rice is cool. Cover the pan with a damp tea towel and leave to one side, but do not refrigerate.
5. Add the 2 tablespoons of sugar and the mirin to the mushrooms and stir. Add the carrots and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes and then drain. Discard the mushroom stalks and thinly slice the caps. Cut the carrot pieces into thin strips.
6. Place a sheet of nori on the mat, shiny-side down. Add half of the cooked rice, leaving a 2 cm (3/4 inch) gap at the edge furthest away from you. Lay half of the filling ingredients on the rice in the following order: mushrooms, omelette, crabstick, daikon, carrot, cucumber. Starting with the end nearest to you, tightly roll the mat and the nori. Repeat this process with the other piece of seaweed and remaining ingredients.
7. Using a sharp knife, cut each roll into six slices. After cutting each slice, rinse the knife under cold running water to prevent sticking. Transfer to a serving plate and serve with soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger.
- Main Ingredients - Rice
- Cuisine - Japanese
- Course - Lunch
- Occasion - Family meals