Ginger and vegetable tagine. Photo: Natalie Boog
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 medium spanish onions, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger, finely sliced or grated
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 cinnamon quill
- Salt and ground white pepper
- 800g tin whole peeled tomatoes
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained
- 1 tbsp preserved lemon rind, finely sliced
- 1kg sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1½cm cubes
- 1 red capsicum, cut into squares
- 2 handfuls coriander leaves
Preheat oven to 180C. Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan or a tagine. Add onion, garlic, ginger, bay leaves, coriander seeds and cinnamon and season well. Cook over medium heat until soft and starting to colour, about 15 minutes.
Add tomatoes, chickpeas and lemon rind and bring to a simmer. Add sweet potato and capsicum and stir. Cover with a lid and bake for 1 hour or until sweet potato is cooked through.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with couscous and natural yoghurt.
- Main Ingredients - Potato, Chickpeas
- Cuisine - African
- Course - Main-course