On the up: Goat ragu with red wine. Photo: Edwina Pickles
1.5kg goat meat on bone, chopped into chunks
2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, halved and sliced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 celery stalks, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
300ml good red wine
400g canned tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp sugar
300ml stock or water (check stock is gluten-free if necessary)
3 bay leaves
1 tbsp chopped thyme or rosemary, and extra for serving
1 tsp dried oregano
good pinch of dried chilli flakes
sea salt and pepper
1. Rinse the goat, pat dry, and season well. Heat one tablespoon of oil in a lidded ovenproof pan and brown the meat in batches, on both sides, then remove.
2. Add remaining oil and cook the onion, carrot, celery and garlic for 10 minutes until softened.
3. Add the red wine, tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and stock, and bring to the boil, stirring.
4. Heat oven to 160C. Return the meat to the pan with bay leaves, thyme, oregano, chilli, sea salt and pepper, cover and cook in the oven for 1 ½ to 2 hours until tender. Skim off any excess surface fat, scatter with extra herbs and serve.
- Main Ingredients - Tomato, Carrot
- Cuisine - Italian
- Course - Dinner, Main-course
- Occasion - Family meals