Photo: Marina Oliphant
- 150g slim, short pasta, e.g. penne rigate
- 500g ripe red tomatoes
- 250ml tomato passata (sugo)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp rinsed salted capers
- 1 tsp sugar
- Sea salt and pepper
- 8 thick fresh lamb sausages
- 2 tbsp parsley or coriander leaves
Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until tender, then drain. Cut the tomatoes in half, scoop out and discard seeds, and chop.
Place in a saucepan with tomato passata, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, basil, capers, sugar, sea salt and pepper, and heat, stirring. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and gently cook the sausages over medium heat until browned. Drain off any oil and add the tomato stew to the pan. Simmer for five minutes, then add the drained pasta and simmer for a further five minutes. Scatter with parsley and serve.
There should be just enough pasta to add body to the soupy tomato stew without it taking over and turning it into a pasta dish.
- Main Ingredients - Lamb
- Cuisine - Greek
- Course - Main-course