Photo: Simon Griffiths
- 1 packet green tea noodles (udon or buckwheat, available at good supermarkets, some Asian grocers and
- health food stores).
- 1/2 cup carrot, scrubbed (not peeled) and sliced into fine diagonals
- 1/2 cup of snow peas, topped and tailed
- 1/4 red onion, sliced finely into half-moon shapes
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced into fine diagonals
- 1 cup of fresh mint leaves
- Orange sauce:
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed
- orange juice
- 2 tbsp orange rind
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger juice (grate ginger finely and squeeze juice from pulp)
- 1 tsp brown rice vinegar or sushi vinegar (available at Japanese grocers or good supermarkets)
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark sesame oil
Bring a pot of water to the boil, add the noodles and cook until al dente - about 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold running water then set aside.Bring another small pot of water to the boil and quickly blanch the carrots, snow peas and onions separately until slightly crisp.
Refresh each under cold running water. Slice snow peas in half.
To make dressing: Whisk together all the orange sauce ingredients and pour over the noodles. Add the blanched vegetables and cucumber.
Mix thoroughly and top with fresh mint.
Allow to marinate for 30 minutes and serve chilled.
- Cuisine - Japanese