A Christmas feast to remember. Photo: Marina Oliphant
3 bunches of green asparagus, trimmed (choose spears that are about finger thickness)
20ml virgin olive oil
1tbsp quality mayonnaise
1 packet of red-veined sorrel leaves or 1 bunch of regular sorrel picked, leaves torn
80g parmigiano reggiano
1 truffle, about 20g
1. Preheat a griddle pan or a barbecue grill.
2. Season and oil the asparagus. Grill, rotating the spears regularly to cook evenly. They should take 2 to 3 minutes to cook.
3. Lift the cooked asparagus spears off the grill and toss them in the mayonnaise while still warm. The mayonnaise will get down to a sauce consistency; add more if necessary to coat fully. Throw in a handful of sorrel and toss again. Adjust seasoning.
4. Arrange the asparagus on a serving plate, then top with the remaining sorrel. Using a microplane, grate the parmesan over and add a squeeze of lemon. Top with fine shavings of truffle and serve immediately.
Tip: Buy your truffle as close to using as possible so it has its fragrance. To store, wrap it in a kitchen towel in an airtight container in the crisper. Keep very dry. Change the paper daily. Slice with a very sharp knife, or a mandolin.
- Main Ingredients - Cheese, Lemon
- Course - Side Dish
- Occasion - Dinner Party, Christmas