Purple heart: Grilled eggplant with tahini and yoghurt dressing, pomegranate, chilli and mint. Photo: Marina Oliphant
4 large eggplants
Extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp tahini
300g plain yoghurt
1 lemon, juiced
¼ bunch mint, picked
1 green chilli, sliced into rings
1 red chilli, sliced into rings
½ fresh pomegranate
1. Preheat a grill pan or barbecue.
2. Cut the eggplant into 1½-2cm-thick slices lengthways, season and brush with oil. Grill for a few minutes on each side then lie flat to cool. The eggplant should be just cooked but still holding its shape.
3. In a mortar and pestle, grind the cumin seeds coarsely. Add two good pinches of salt and briefly grind together. Grate the garlic on a Microplane and add to the cumin. Add the tahini, yoghurt and lemon juice, mix well.
4. Lie the eggplant on a serving dish. Spoon the dressing over, then scatter over the mint, chillies and pomegranate seeds. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and serve.
- Main Ingredients - Eggplant, Yoghurt, Lemon
- Cuisine - Middle Eastern
- Course - Side Dish
- Occasion - Barbecue, Family meals, Dinner Party