- 165 g (5 3/4 oz/3/4 cup) dried chickpeas
- 165 g (5 3/4 oz/3/4 cup) dried red kidney beans
- 1 × 85 g (3 oz) packet fruit-flavoured jelly (gelatin dessert)
- 115 g (4 oz/1/2 cup) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 lemon grass stems, bruised
- 60 g (2 1/4 oz) fresh ginger, sliced
- 120 g (4 1/4 oz) tinned jackfruit, drained and cut into 2 cm (3/4 inch) squares
- 18 tinned whole lychees, halved (reserve the syrup)
- 30 g (1 oz) tinned coconut flesh, drained and shredded (optional)
- 1 mango, cut into 1.5 cm ( 5/8 inch) cubes
- 400 g (14 1/4 oz/3 cups) shaved ice
- 375 ml (13 fl oz/1 1/2 cups) coconut milk
- 3 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons caster (superfine) sugar, extra
- 1/3 quantity vanilla ice cream or 330 g (11 1/2 oz/1 1/3 cups) store-bought
1. Put the chickpeas and red kidney beans in separate bowls. Cover with plenty of water and soak overnight.
2. Make the jelly according to the packet instructions, using only half the quantity of water prescribed. Set in a loaf (bar) tin until very firm. Cut into 2 cm (3/4 inch) cubes.
3. Drain the chickpeas and kidney beans. Put them in separate saucepans with plenty of water. Add 55 g (2 oz/1/4 cup) of sugar, a lemon grass stem and half the sliced ginger to each saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook until tender (about 30 minutes for the beans and 50 minutes for the chickpeas). Drain, discard the lemon grass and ginger, and mix the beans and chickpeas together in a bowl. Allow to cool.
4. Put the jackfruit, lychees, 125 ml (4 fl oz/1/2 cup) of the reserved lychee syrup, coconut meat and mango in a bowl. Gently mix together, then divide among six parfait (sundae) glasses. Top each with 2 tablespoons of the chickpea and kidney bean mixture. Add the jelly cubes and shaved ice.
5. Combine the coconut milk, lime juice and extra sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Pour over the shaved ice, top with a scoop of ice cream and serve immediately.
- Main Ingredients - Chickpeas
- Course - Dessert
- Occasion - Dinner Party