Haloumi wrapped in vine leaves with pistachios, zaatar and pomegranate molasses. Photo: Marcel Aucar, Styling: Caroline
8 vine leaves, thoroughly rinsed
2 packets (about 250g each) haloumi cheese
extra-virgin olive oil
3 tbsp pomegranate molasses
1 tbsp (heaped) zaatar
1 tbsp (heaped) roughly chopped pistachio kernels
1. Dry any excess moisture from the vine leaves with paper towel and cut in half along the stem.
2. Slice each block of haloumi into eight fingers. Roll each piece of haloumi tightly in a vine leaf.
3. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat, add a good splash of oil and cook the haloumi on each side until golden - about one minute each side.
4. Transfer to a plate, drizzle with the pomegranate molasses, squeeze over the lemon and scatter with zaatar and pistachios.
Drink A fresh white wine such as vermentino or, if you can find it, txakoli, the zippy Spanish white, would work well.
- Main Ingredients - Cheese, Nuts
- Cuisine - Greek
- Course - Side Dish, Starter/Entree, Finger-food
- Occasion - Cocktail Party, Dinner Party, Picnic, Barbecue