Forgotten classic: Green goddess dressing is perfect with eggs, beans, smoked salmon, roast meats and barbecued fish. Photo: Edwina Pickles
800g mixed heirloom and truss tomatoes
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 anchovy fillets, chopped
1 small garlic clove, finely grated
1/2 cup basil leaves
1/2 cup parsley leaves
2 tbsp tarragon leaves
2 tbsp chopped chives or spring onion greens
100g sour cream or creme fraiche
60g low-fat yoghurt or whole egg mayonnaise
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 to 2 tbsp lemon juice
1. Slice each tomato differently - some slices, some chunks, some quarters - to get a variety of textures and shapes. Toss in olive oil, sea salt and pepper and set aside.
2. To make the dressing, whizz all the ingredients except lemon juice in a blender until smooth, green and creamy, scraping down the sides once or twice. Add the lemon juice to taste, whizzing again, and refrigerate before using.
3. Strew the tomatoes on each plate, scatter with a few extra herbs and serve with a goodly spoonful of green goddess.
- Main Ingredients - Tomato, Fish, Cream/Milk
- Cuisine - American (US)
- Course - Starter/Entree, Light lunch, Side Dish