- 4 skinless chicken breast fillets (about 1 kg/2 lb 4 oz)
- 165 g (5¾ oz/1½ cups) ready-made dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- 75 g (2¾ oz/½ cup) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) olive oil
- 235 g (8½ oz/1 cup) whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1–2 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1. Cut the chicken fillets into long strips about 2 cm (¾ inch) wide. Combine the breadcrumbs, parsley and oregano in a bowl. Put the flour in a plastic bag, season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper and add the chicken strips. Toss until the chicken is coated and then remove, shaking off any excess flour.
2. Dip the chicken, one strip at a time, in the egg, allowing any excess to drain away and then coat with the breadcrumb mixture, pressing it on with your fingers. Place the coated chicken pieces on a foil-lined tray, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make the lemon mayonnaise. Put all the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
4. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Add half the chicken strips and cook for 3 minutes each side or until golden and just cooked through. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces. Serve warm with the lemon mayonnaise.
- Main Ingredients - Chicken
- Course - Dinner, Lunch, Main-course
- Occasion - Kids' cooking, Dinner Party, Cocktail Party