Hot buttered banana pudding. Photo: William Meppem
For the banana sauce
150g dark brown sugar
2 tsp cocoa
juice of 3 limes
100g unsalted butter
¼ tsp ground cloves
7 or 8 medium bananas (650g peeled)
100g unsalted butter, softened
75g castor sugar
1 egg (60g)
2 tsp vanilla extract
75g desiccated coconut, unsweetened
2 tbsp plain yoghurt
125g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
pouring cream and toasted, shaved or dessicated coconut to serve
1. Whisk together the brown sugar, cocoa and lime juice until smooth then bring to the boil. Add the butter and spice, allow butter to melt and return to the boil, then add the banana, cut into 2cm thick pieces. Simmer until the banana starts to soften then remove from the heat.
2. Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/350F.
3. In a mixing bowl beat the butter and sugar till smooth then beat in the egg and vanilla. Stir in the coconut and the yoghurt followed by the flour and the baking powder.
4.Take an ovenproof two-litre dish, return the bananas to the boil then spoon this into the dish.
5. Spoon on the topping and bake for about 50-60 minutes, or until the centre of the topping is cooked through.
6. Serve with cold pouring cream and toasted coconut.
- Main Ingredients - Banana
- Cuisine - British
- Course - Dessert
- Occasion - Midweek dinner, Family meals