Photo: Jennifer Soo
- 2kg diced lamb
- 1/2 tbsp ground turmeric
- 250ml (1 cup) plain yoghurt
- peanut oil
- 6 onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 3/4 tbsp ground cardamom
- 3/4 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 10-15 birds eye chillies, split, deseeded and finely chopped
- 150g blanched almonds, roasted lightly and ground salt
- bouquet garni of 3 cinnamon sticks, 6 cloves, 4 whole star anise, a couple of bay leaves and peppercorns
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, rinsed, the leaves picked from the stem
Mix the lamb in the yoghurt and turmeric and refrigerate overnight.
Heat a large pot over a medium heat, add a generous splash of oil and cook the onion until clear. Add the garlic and ginger, stirring well and cooking only briefly as garlic burns quickly and easily.
Add the marinated meat and stir through the onions well. Dust the spices over the top and add poppy seeds, chilli, almonds and about a teaspoon of salt. Stir well to combine. Bury the bouquet garni in the centre of the pot.
Cover and cook on the lowest heat for 90 minutes, stirring periodically.
Remove the lid and cook a further 45 minutes, or thereabouts. The meat should be tender but not breaking down. Check seasoning. Add coriander leaves just as you serve.
- Main Ingredients - Lamb
- Cuisine - Indian
- Course - Lunch