This is a meat-free meal in a bowl. Photo: Marina Oliphant
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled and grated
- 3 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 2cm knob ginger, finely grated
- 1 tsp ground fenugreek
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 400g canned tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 400g canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp sugar
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 700ml water or stock (check stock gluten-free if necessary)
- 100g plain natural yoghurt
- 1 tomato, finely diced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, pan-roasted
- 2 tbsp coriander sprigs
Heat oil and fry onion, garlic and ginger for five minutes over low heat, stirring.
Add fenugreek, coriander, cumin, cayenne and turmeric and fry for two minutes stirring.
Add tomatoes, tomato paste, chickpeas, sugar, salt, pepper and water or stock, and simmer, partly covered, for 30 minutes.
Taste and adjust for spice, sugar, salt and pepper. Serve topped with a dollop of yoghurt, diced tomato, cumin seeds and coriander.
- Main Ingredients - Chickpeas, Tomato, Yoghurt
- Cuisine - Indian
- Course - Lunchbox
- Occasion - Midweek dinner