- 200g (¾ cup) plain yoghurt
- 2 tbsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 3 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1.8kg whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 10cm piece ginger
- 9 garlic cloves
- 1 large brown onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1kg desiree potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm pieces
- 600g roma tomatoes, chopped
- 200ml white chicken stock
- 80ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil, extra
- 16 curry leaves
- Steamed basmati rice and naan bread, to serve
1. Combine the yoghurt, chilli, cloves, cumin, coriander and salt in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Add the chicken pieces and turn to coat in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 1½ hours.
2. Coarsely chop the ginger and garlic, then put in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Remove from the food processor and set aside. Finely chop the onion in the food processor and set aside. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until golden. Add the chopped onion and turmeric and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until the onion is soft. Add the potatoes to the pan, reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring regularly and scraping any caramelisation from the base of the pan, for 5 minutes.
3. Purée the tomatoes in the food processor and add to the pan with the marinated chicken pieces and any remaining marinade left in the bowl. Add the stock, increase the heat to high and bring to the boil.
4. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer, stirring regularly, for 45 minutes, until the chicken is tender and cooked through. Season with salt, to taste.
5. Heat the extra oil and curry leaves in a small saucepan over medium heat. When the leaves begin to sizzle and crisp, remove them using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
6. Serve the curry scattered with the fried curry leaves and accompanied by steamed rice and naan bread.
- Main Ingredients - Chicken
- Cuisine - Indian
- Course - Main-course
- Occasion - Midweek dinner, Family meals, Dinner Party