Devilled eggs are making a comeback: Spruce them up with your choice of toppings such as crisp-fried shallots, anchovy fillets or crushed pappadums. Photo: Peter Rae
6 organic eggs
3 tbsp whole-egg mayonnaise
2 tsp good curry powder
1 tbsp mango chutney
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 tbsp Dijon or hot English mustard
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
To garnish: Your choice of crumbled bacon, crisp-fried shallots, caviar, red onion, paprika, nigella seeds, anchovy fillets, fresh coriander or dill, or even crushed pappadums.
1. Place the eggs in a large pot of cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer for nine minutes, then remove and cool immediately in iced water. Peel the eggs, halve lengthwise and gently remove each egg yolk.
2. Whiz the egg yolks in a mini food processor with the mayonnaise, curry powder, chutney, paprika, turmeric, cayenne, mustard, lemon juice, sea salt and pepper until smooth.
3. Spoon or pipe (using a star nozzle for extra allure) the mixture onto each egg white, top with your choice of garnish, and serve.
Tip: Just keep it simple. Nobody needs a fancy devilled egg. Flavour the basic egg yolk mixture with a kick-arse chilli sauce, curry powder, Moroccan harissa or Korean kim chi.
- Main Ingredients - Eggs, Lemon
- Cuisine - American (US)
- Course - Finger-food, Starter/Entree
- Occasion - Cocktail Party, Dinner Party, Picnic, New Years