Kimchi. Photo: Marina Oliphant
- 1kg or 1 large Chinese cabbage, outside leaves discarded
- 200g table salt
- ½ Spanish onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large knob ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 nashi pear, peeled and roughly chopped
- 100g chilli bean paste
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 radish, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
Remove cabbage core and cut leaves into 2.5cm squares.
Place in a large bowl and toss with salt.
Leave for three hours.
Rinse salt from cabbage and squeeze out excess liquid.
Puree onion, ginger, garlic, pear, chilli paste, fish sauce, sugar and sesame oil to make a smooth paste.
Stir through cabbage and place in a container in the fridge.
Leave for one week.
Serve with sliced radish and sesame seeds.
- Main Ingredients - Cabbage
- Cuisine - Korean
- Course - Dinner