Photo: Marco Del Grande
- ½ to 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, finely diced
- ½ Spanish onion, finely diced
- ? bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- 400g can black beans, rinsed and drained (optional)
- ? cup light olive oil, for frying
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded and cut in 4 lengthways
- 4 mini tortilla
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
- Serves 4 as a light snack
Heat a heavy-based saucepan on a medium heat, add a little oil and pan-fry capsicum for three minutes each side. Remove from pan, cut into julienne and set aside.
In the same pan, fry one tortilla until a light golden colour, then flip. Sprinkle one tablespoon of cheese on the tortilla in the pan, then break one egg in the middle of the tortilla. Drag any egg white that spills out into the pan back onto the tortilla and season. Flip the tortilla, making sure to break the egg yolk, and fry for 30 seconds, or more for a well-done egg.
Flip the tortilla, egg side up, onto a plate, sprinkle with a little tomato, onion, coriander, a quarter of the capsicum, some black beans if using, more cheese and a few drops of Tabasco sauce.
Repeat with remaining tortillas. Roll the tortilla and eat with the hands or eat flat on a plate with a knife and fork.
- Cuisine - Mexican
- Course - Snacks