Marinate the lamb before cooking. Photo: Jennifer Soo
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbsp grated lemon rind
1 tbsp black peppercorns
800g lamb loin, trimmed and lightly flattened
1 turkish bread, cut into four and then in half
2 handfuls rocket, washed
4 heaped tbsp hummus
200ml olive oil, plus a little extra for drizzling
2 medium brown onions, chopped
Freshly ground white pepper
2 bay leaves
2 red capsicums, chopped
80g brown sugar
80ml red wine vinegar
1. Crush four garlic cloves, lemon rind and peppercorns in a mortar and pestle or roughly chop and spread on the lamb. Drizzle with olive oil and refrigerate overnight, or for an hour.
2. For the relish heat olive oil in a saucepan, add onion and remaining garlic and season. Cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add bay leaves and capsicum and cook for a further five minutes. Add sugar and vinegar and simmer to reduce liquid, about 30 minutes.
3. Preheat a barbecue or grill to high. Scrape marinade off lamb and cook meat to your liking on the barbecue. Slice on an angle. Grill bread and fill with rocket, hummus, lamb and a large spoon of relish to serve.
- Main Ingredients - Lamb
- Cuisine - Modern Australian
- Course - Lunch, Dinner, Main-course
- Occasion - Barbecue, Father's Day, Australia Day, Midweek dinner