Photo: Jennifer Soo
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp grated lemon rind
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 800g lamb loin, trimmed and lightly flattened
- 200ml olive oil, plus a little extra for drizzling
- 2 medium brown onions, chopped
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 red capsicums, chopped
- 80g brown sugar
- 80ml red wine vinegar
- 1 turkish bread, cut into four and then in half
- 2 handfuls rocket, washed
- 4 heaped tbsp hummus
Crush four garlic cloves, lemon rind and peppercorns in a mortar and pestle or roughly chop and spread on lamb. Drizzle with olive oil and refrigerate overnight or for an hour.
For the relish heat olive oil in a saucepan, add onion and remaining garlic and season. Cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add bay leaves and capsicum and cook for a further five minutes. Add sugar and vinegar and simmer to reduce liquid, about 30 minutes.
Preheat a barbecue or grill to high. Scrape marinade off lamb and cook meat to your liking on the barbecue. Slice on an angle. Grill bread and fill with rocket, hummus, lamb and a large spoon of relish to serve.
- Main Ingredients - Lamb
- Course - Lunch
- Occasion - Barbecue, Family meals