Photo: Marina Oliphant
- 1.2kg lamb shoulder meat
- 6 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 rosemary sprigs, plus 1 tbsp rosemary needles for serving
- 250ml red wine such as shiraz
- 250ml water
- 12 parmesan shavings or 2 tbsp grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley
Heat the oven to 150C. Cut the lamb into large bite-sized chunks, trimming off large bits of fat. Place in a casserole dish with garlic, anchovy fillets, tomato paste, half the pepper, bay leaves and rosemary sprigs. Add the red wine and enough water to just cover the meat. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
Cover and cook in the oven for three hours, stirring once or twice, until the lamb is meltingly tender. Toss the parmesan, remaining black pepper, parsley and rosemary needles in a bowl and scatter on top.
Serve with a green salad.
- Main Ingredients - Lamb
- Course - Main-course