Photo: Marina Oliphant
- Tomato sugo
500g ripe red tomatoes
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp basil leaves, chopped
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 mild red chilli, chopped
- 1 tbsp rinsed salted capers
- Sea salt and pepper
600g lamb fillet
- 2 fat pork sausages
- 250g haloumi, rinsed
- 8 rosemary sprigs
- 2 rounds Lebanese bread, halved
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Cut tomatoes in half, scoop out and discard seeds and chop. Place in a saucepan with cherry tomatoes, 4 tablespoons olive oil, vinegar, garlic, basil, oregano, chilli, capers, sea salt and pepper and heat, stirring.
Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. There is no need to add water as the tomatoes' own juices will make the sauce.
Cut the lamb, sausage and haloumi into equal bitesized chunks and thread on to skewers with the rosemary sprigs. (If the haloumi starts falling apart, panfry it separately and serve with the lamb skewers.)
With remaining olive oil, brush skewers and grill or pan-fry until browned.
Spoon tomato sugo on to the Lebanese bread, top with lamb, scatter with spinach and serve immediately.
- Main Ingredients - Lamb, Tomato, Cheese
- Cuisine - Modern Australian
- Course - Lunch, Dinner
- Occasion - Barbecue, Midweek dinner