- 2 tablespoons plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon baharat
- 1.5 kg (3 lb 5 oz) lamb shoulder, trimmed and cut into 3 cm (1¼ inch) chunks
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (concentrated purée)
- 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) tomato passata (puréed tomatoes)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400 g (14 oz/2 cups) basmati rice
- 400 g (14 oz) tin white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 handful coriander (cilantro) leaves
- lemon cheeks, to serve
- thinly shaved cucumber, to serve
- baby English spinach leaves, to serve
1. Place the flour, salt, pepper and baharat in a large bowl. Add the lamb and toss until evenly coated, then place the lamb in a slow cooker.
2. Add the tomato paste, passata, onion, garlic, and 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) water and stir until well combined. Clean the sides of the cooker with a damp cloth if necessary.
3. Cover and cook on low for 6–7 hours, or until the lamb is very tender and breaks apart when stirred.
4. Meanwhile, near serving time, prepare the rice. Rinse the rice under cold running water until the water runs clear. Place the rice and 375 ml (13 fl oz/1½ cups) cold water in a large saucepan, then cover and cook over low heat for 20–25 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
5. Add the white beans to the slow cooker and gently stir in. Cover and cook for a further 10 minutes to heat through.
6. Divide the lamb among serving bowls and garnish with the coriander. Serve with the rice, lemon cheeks, cucumber and baby spinach.
- Main Ingredients - Lamb, Tomato, Rice
- Cuisine - Lebanese
- Course - Dinner