Photo: Edwina Pickles
- 300g frozen dark-chocolate shortcrust pastry, thawed*
- 180g cream cheese, room temperature
- 100g ricotta cheese, drained
- 75g castor sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 2 small eggs
- * Chocolate shortcrust pastry is available at quality delicatessens and food stores.
Roll pastry out on a lightly floured surface and cut four circles to fit four 10-centimetre x two-centimetre tart tins. Gently press each circle into a tart tin and trim excess pastry with a sharp knife. Place on a tray and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Heat oven to 180C. Line tart shells with baking paper, fill with dried beans or pastry weights and bake for 10 minutes. Remove paper and weights and bake for a further five minutes.
Combine cheeses, sugar, vanilla, lemon juice and zest in a bowl and mix until smooth. Add eggs and, when combined, spoon mixture into pastry shells. Reduce heat to 150C and bake for 25-35 minutes or until just firm in the centre.
Sprinkle lemon tarts with icing sugar, if desired, and serve with vanilla ice-cream or vanilla yoghurt.
- Cuisine - French
- Course - Dessert