- 1½ cups (185 g/6 oz) self-raising flour
- ½ cup (45 g/1½ oz) desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 cup (250 g/8 oz) caster sugar
- 125 g (4 oz) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250 ml/8 fl oz) milk
- 1½ cups (185 g/6 oz) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 cup (90 g/3 oz) desiccated coconut
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon rind
- ¼ cup (60 ml/2 fl oz) lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to moderate 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Lightly grease a deep 20 cm (8 inch) round cake tin and line with baking paper.
2. Sift the flour into a large bowl and add the coconut, lemon rind, sugar, butter, eggs and milk. Mix well with a wooden spoon until smooth. Pour into the tin and smooth the surface. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the cake.
3. Leave the cake in the tin for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
4. For the coconut icing, combine the icing sugar and coconut in a bowl, then add the lemon rind and enough lemon juice to make a stiff but spreadable icing. Spread the icing over the cold cake.
- Course - Dessert
- Occasion - Afternoon Tea