- 5 cm (2 inch) round cookie cutter
- 2 egg whites
- 115 g (4 oz/1/2 cup) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 tablespoons whipped cream
- strawberry or raspberry jam, for spreading
- fine ribbon, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F/Gas 2). Line a baking tray with baking paper. Use a 5 cm (2 inch) round cookie cutter to draw 10 circles on the baking paper.
2. Beat the egg whites using electric beaters until stiff peaks form. Add the sugar, a tablespoon at a time, beating well after each tablespoon. Beat until the mixture is thick and glossy, and the sugar has dissolved.
3. Place the mixture in a piping (icing) bag fitted with a plain nozzle. Pipe around the inside edge of the marked circles only.
4. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until meringues are pale and dry. Turn the oven off. Leave the meringues to cool in the oven with the door slightly open.
5. Near serving time, sandwich two meringues together with jam and cream. As decoration (do not eat!) thread ribbon through the centre and tie a knot or bow.
- Main Ingredients - Eggs
- Course - Dessert
- Occasion - Afternoon Tea, Children's Party