Photo: Marina Oliphant
- 200g butter, melted
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 350g wheatmeal biscuits, crushed into crumbs
- 250g cream cheese or mascarpone
- 2 tbsp kirsch
- 1/2 cup pure icing sugar, sifted
- 300mL creme fraiche
- 300mL cream, stiffly whipped
- 500g cherries, rinsed and stoned
Combine butter, ginger and biscuit crumbs. Press into a 22cm springform tin and even out base and sides using a straight-sided glass. Chill until firm.
Work cream cheese, 1 tbsp of the kirsch and icing sugar in a food processor until smooth. Add creme fraiche. Scrape into a bowl and fold in cream. Spread onto chilled biscuit base and smooth down evenly. Chill for at least 1 hour.
When ready to serve, remove cheesecake from tin and place on a serving plate. Sprinkle cherries with remaining kirsch and pile on top of cake. Cut with a knife dipped in hot water.
- Course - Dessert