Neil Perry's ma po (or grandmother's) tofu. Photo: Supplied
- 300g silken tofu, cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 200g minced pork belly
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons hot bean paste
- 125ml fresh chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon shaoxing rice wine
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- A good pinch of Sichuan pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
Heat a wok until smoking. Add the vegetable oil and, when hot, add the minced pork and stir-fry until browned.
Then add the garlic, spring onions and bean paste and stir-fry until fragrant.
Add the stock, shaoxing, soy sauces, sugar and salt.
Bring to the boil, add the tofu and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, allowing the liquid to thicken slightly.
Add the Sichuan pepper and sesame oil and gently mix together.
- Main Ingredients - Pork, Tofu/Beancurd
- Cuisine - Chinese