- 350 g (12 oz) boned rib eye steak, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- oil, for cooking
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped dried mandarin or tangerine zest, plus extra to garnish
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce, extra
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornflour (cornstarch)
- 4 tablespoons beef stock
1. Place the meat in a bowl. Mix the soy sauce, sherry, ginger and sesame oil together, add to the meat and toss well. Leave to marinate for 15 minutes.
2. Heat the wok until very hot, add 1 tablespoon of the oil and swirl it around to coat the side. Add the beef and stir-fry over high heat for 2 minutes, or until the meat is browned on all sides.
3. Add the pepper, dried mandarin or tangerine zest, extra soy sauce and sugar. Stir-fry briefly.
4. Dissolve the cornflour in a little of the stock and then add the remaining stock. Pour the whole lot into the wok. Stir until the sauce boils and thickens. Serve immediately garnished with extra zest.
- Main Ingredients - Beef
- Course - Main-course
- Occasion - Father's Day, Midweek dinner