- 80 ml (⅓ cup) soy sauce
- 60 ml (¼ cup) mirin
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 teaspoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 × 175 g (6 oz) tuna steaks
- 1 tablespoon oil
- coriander leaves, for garnish
1. Mix the soy sauce, mirin, sake, sugar, ginger and lemon juice together in a jug. Put the tuna steaks in a shallow dish and spoon the marinade over the top. Turn the fish in the marinade, ensuring it is well coated. Cover and leave to marinate for 30 minutes in the fridge.
2. Preheat a chargrill pan or barbecue hotplate until hot. Lift the tuna out of the marinade and pour the marinade into a small saucepan. Bring the marinade to the boil and reduce for 1 minute.
3. Meanwhile, lightly oil the surface of the chargrill pan and add the tuna steaks. Cook for 2–3 minutes on each side so that the tuna is cooked on the outside but still pink in the middle.
4. Serve with some of the marinade spooned over the top and garnished with coriander. Great with rice and steamed vegetables.
- Main Ingredients - Fish
- Cuisine - Japanese
- Course - Lunch, Main-course
- Occasion - Midweek dinner, Dinner Party