Photo: Marina Oliphant
- 2 litres water
- 1 cup light soy sauce
- 1 cup shao xing wine
- 150g yellow rock sugar, crushed
- 1/3 cup ginger, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 green (spring) onions, washed and trimmed
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 4 star-anise
- 2 cassia bark or 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 pieces dried mandarin peel or orange peel*
- * The peel should be without any bitter pith and dried slowly in an oven on very low heat.
Combine all the ingredients in a large pot and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and gently simmer for 30 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse.
Use in recipes (such as Soy-braised shiitake mushrooms with silken tofu or Soy-braised chicken) or simply strain, cool and freeze. The flavours will deepen and improve with each use. Every so often, add some more of the same ingredients to replenish the stock.
- Cuisine - Chinese