- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) roma tomatoes, halved
- 6 flour tortillas
- 1-2 red chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 kg (2 lb 4 oz) stewing beef, cubed
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 375 ml (13 fl oz/1½ cups) beef stock
- 60 g (2¼ oz/¼ cup) tomato paste (concentrated purée)
- 375 g (13 oz) tin kidney beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 125 g (4½ oz/½ cup) sour cream
- flat-leaf (Italian) parsley to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 180°c (350°F/Gas 4). Grill (broil) the tomatoes, skin side up, under a hot grill (broiler) for 6-8 minutes, or until the skin is black and blistered. place in a plastic bag and seal. cool, remove the skin and roughly chop the flesh.
2. Bake two of the tortillas for 4 minutes, or until crisp. Break into pieces and put in a food processor with the tomato and chopped chilli. process for 30 seconds, or until almost smooth.
3. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan. Brown the beef in batches, season with pepper, then remove. add the onion to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. return the meat to the pan. stir in the processed mixture, stock and tomato paste, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1¼ hours. add the beans and chilli powder, and heat through.
4. Grill the remaining tortillas for 2-3 minutes on each side, then cool and cut into wedges. serve the stew with the sour cream, and toasted tortilla wedges on the side.
- Main Ingredients - Beef
- Cuisine - Mexican
- Course - Main-course