- 1 tablespoon chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 60 ml (2 fl oz/¼ cup) olive oil
- 1.25 kg (2 lb 12 oz) chicken pieces, skin on
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 green jalapeño chillies, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 200 ml (7 fl oz) hot taco sauce
- 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) good-quality chicken stock
- 1 red capsicum (pepper), trimmed, seeded and chopped into 2 cm (¾ inch) chunks
- 1 green capsicum (pepper), trimmed, seeded and chopped into 2 cm (¾ inch) chunks
- 2 corn cobs, silks and husks removed, each cut into thick rounds
- 400 g (14 oz/2 cups) basmati rice
- 100 g (3½ oz) whole black olives
- 1 small handful coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 80 g (2¾ oz/⅓ cup) sour cream
- warmed flour tortillas, to serve (optional)
1. In a small bowl, mix together the chilli flakes, cumin, cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil until well combined.
2. Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl, add the spice and oil mixture and toss to coat. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken skin with your fingers, making sure the chicken is entirely covered. Season with sea salt.
3. Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the chicken pieces in batches and fry for 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until the skin has browned, transferring each batch to a slow cooker.
4. Add the onion, jalapeño chilli, garlic, taco sauce, stock, capsicums and corn to the slow cooker. Mix well to ensure all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
5. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
6. Meanwhile, near serving time, prepare the rice. Rinse the rice under cold running water until the water runs clear. Place the rice and 375 ml (13 fl oz/1½ cups) cold water in a large saucepan, then cover and cook over low heat for 20–25 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
7. Stir the olives through the chicken mixture. Divide among serving plates and sprinkle with the coriander. Serve with the rice and sour cream, and warmed flour tortillas if desired.
- Main Ingredients - Chicken
- Cuisine - Mexican
- Course - Lunch, Dinner